The iron sailing ship Lord Wolseley (Yard No. 157) was delivered today to the Irish Shipowners Co. The 2,576-ton vessel was one of this largest ships afloat, the other two being W. J. Pirrie (Yard No. 120) and Fingal (Yard No. 156), the former at the time being built for S. Lawther and the latter for R. Martin & Co., Dublin.
Lord Wolseley was the first vessel built for the Company formed only in January of the same year with a large capital and an impressive list of ship-owning directors: Sir Edward Porter Cowan, JP; Sir John Preston, JP; John Ward, Thomas Shaw and D. Dixon and T. S. Dixon, JP, as Managers. ‘The well-known character of the Messrs. Dixon for the energy and success with which they carry out every undertaking in which they may be engaged secured for the company very extensive support on all hands, and soon the share list was complete.’ (see: 21 July 1883)