RMS Titanic sank on 15th April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg in the waters of the Atlantic. This week marks the loss of the Titanic 107 years ago. A series of events are taking place across Titanic Quarter to commemorate the tragedy.
The programme includes guided tours of the slipways and a free tour of Titanic Hotel Belfast
, the former Harland & Wolff headquarters where the Titanic was designed. Tours will journey through the history of the building that was once the control centre for the biggest shipyard in the world and its transformation into the luxurious and elegant hotel it is today.
Talks and tours will take place from Friday 12th until Monday 15th April 2019. Entrance to all events is free but spaces are limited. Get your tickets here
Over a hundred years after her fateful maiden voyage, the interest for all things Titanic remains high. It’s not hard to imagine why - it was the biggest and most luxurious vessel of its time. Items recovered from the wreckage have allowed us to answer many questions, and now we know what the passengers of the Titanic wore or ate, depending on the class they belonged to.
Three different menus were served daily. All passengers enjoyed the highest quality food; however, First Class passengers were served the most sophisticated dishes, of course. Second Class passengers also enjoyed exceptional fine dining, with excellent choice available. Third class passengers got only one menu, but delicious hearty meals were provided.
This has inspired the Chefs at Titanic Hotel Belfast to create a 5 course tasting menu based solely on dining options served on the Titanic. The Wolff Grill Titanic Anniversary Tasting Menu includes:
- Oysters, a must have for all First Class diners in 1912.
- Ox Cheek & Chamomile Consommé – originally Ox Tongue. The Consommé was served separately with tapioca, which led many to call it fish eye soup because of how it looked!
- Salmon, Cucumber, Apple. Poached Salmon was served with a baked mousseline and cucumber.
- To Choose between: Guinea Fowl, Spinach, Mushroom, Leek, Shallot OR Beef Fillet, Carrot, Pommes Anna, Jus.
- Waldorf Pudding. Classic dessert for First Class passengers. A creamy vanilla pudding flavoured with a hint of nutmeg, diced apples and sultana grapes.
The Titanic Anniversary Tasting Menu will be available in the Wolff Grill
from 15th to 21st April 2019 at £55 per person. Booking is essential. Please call +44 (0)28 9508 2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to make a reservation.